Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Keeping it Real

Today I am going to do something a bit different.  The more moms I talk with I realize that we are all living in a delusional  land.  We are comparing ourselves to mommy bloggers and moms on Facebook  that make everything seem rosy all the time.  Well guess what, it isn't.  So I am going to write today about my most common struggles with Owen.  I have plenty with Eli but since Owen is older there are more things I expect from him.  I will try to inject as much humor as I can, because I was raised if you can't laugh at then it is going to be a really long road.  And don't worry I will go back to writing about my experiences in Kuwait as well.

Owen CANNOT seem to keep his underwear dry.  It seems nearly impossible for him.  We call them dundies, so that is how they will be referred to from hear on out.  He must be potty trained for school.   Now thank goodness the school realizes their will be accidents and ask for an extra pair of clothes in his school bag.  And are there ever accidents.  Not everyday but most days.  Actually everyday at home but at least not everyday at school.  My real goal is to keep them dry at school to have the illusion that he is mastered at this.  I do not why it is so hard for him.  But it is.  It is mainly because he will not stop whatever he is doing to go to the toilet.  He is perfectly fine with being wet.  As he says "It will dry mom."

Today when I picked him up from school he was dry.  Praise the Lord!  We walk out to the car and as he is getting into the car he looks at me and says, "I think I peed my pants."  Really!  No Joke!  You're kidding!  So I make him get out of the car and go back into school to use the toilet.  Oh and did I forget to mention as he just admitted to peeing his pants he tells me that he doesn't need to go.  So we shouldn't go back into the school.  Owen never pees the whole way in his pants.  It is always the start (quite a bit of a start) and then he finishes in the toilet when I push him that way.  So he needs to go to the toilet.

In the car on the way home he says "Mom I always pee my pants!"  I am nodding my head.  I mean what do you say to this.  I then ask "Why can't we change that statement Owen?  Let's say I always use the toilet or I always keep my dundies dry."  Owen:  "Because mom I always pee my pants."

I give up!

Oh and at these times he likes to request to watch the Daniel Tiger Neighborhood episode on pottying to remind him that he should stop what he is doing to go to the toilet.  He usually pees his pants during the show.

It is little distractions.  "Oh I need to go potty."  On the way he will see a drink and say "but first I must drink juice."  Pretty sure that is not how it works Owen.  But okay buddy.  This is why I am in no rush to potty train Eli.  He may be in diapers forever.  :)

I know Owen will eventually get it.  Probably next year.  I hope!  He does have dry days and does better when not at home.  But yes I pack more clothes for him when out than Eli.   I have tried rewards, punishments, taking things away, bribery, you name it.  I am not really looking for advice here.   I just hope people found humor in this and realize that no mom is perfect.  And maybe someone else will even step forward with their mommy struggle of day, week, year.


No comments:

Post a Comment